Kate's Butternut Squash Casserole
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers (about 15 wafers)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place squash in a Dutch oven or large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook until tender, 25-30 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl; beat just until smooth.
- Beat in the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to squash mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a large greased cast-iron skillet or 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine topping ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over squash. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 12-15 minutes longer.